Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Kazakh,Spaniard, and American enter a bar.......



(Suzanne) Today our Spanish friends went to court and were granted custody of their daughter. They will go home tomorrow and return in 3 weeks to take her home (There is a mandatory waiting period following court. )
Later this evening as we were eating dinner, we met a Kazakh man who was here for business. Turns out he works for Proctor an Gamble distributing Mars candy bars in Kakakhstan (did you read that, Eric?) He knew only a few words of English and, like a lot of people around here, was very interested in talking to Americans. He, Dave and Nikolai went to another table to talk so I could do some work on our borrowed laptop. After a few minutes, Jaime came in and sat down with Dave, Nikolai, and our new Kazakh friend “Bek”. The scene that ensued was hilarious. One of the things I love most about Dave is his talent in communicating and making ANYBODY laugh, regardless of age, culture, or language barrier. Well, the next two hours confirmed my observations. I sat back and watched as 3 1/2 men (a Kazakh, a Spaniard, an American, and a 6 year old Russian) pantomimed, spoke in one word sentences, laughed loudly, and enjoyed each other's company for the next 2 hours. They acted as if they were long lost friends who didnt want the night to end. The night concluded when Jaime insisted we all had a shot of vodka to celebrate friendship. We all participated, even Nikolai with his apple juice. It was a night I know we'll talk about for a long time. Anna, Jaime's wife, came down to say goodbye. I always thought it was sweet how Europeans hug and then do the kiss on each side of the cheek. I hated to see them leave, especially since we were stuck here another week. I felt my eyes well up with tears . I was surprised to see Jaime and Anna well up with tears too, after all, they were going home, and I knew they were as homesick as we were! It made me realize that even with my whining about being homesick, I actually will MISS Kazakhstan. I thought about our debacle in Vienna, our daily pantomine antics, and the reason we all were here. I realized how much I have learned on this trip....that despite our different languages, kooky cultural customs, and different weird things we eat, some things are universal....kindness, laughter,a great love for our children, and friendship.